Thursday, January 21, 2010

about job interview #3, your career goals

Your career goal is a long term goal. You must aim high and be grounded as well. Arming with this mindset, you might come up with a paragraph, for example, if your long term career goal is to become a senior manager or executive, you might say something as follows.

I would like to picture myself to become a senior manager in five years. As a manager, I will be in charge of the whole operation, taking up more responsibilities, making the key decisions, adding more value to the company and its shareholders ...

You know, at the same time, I am constantly reminding myself of that, to achieve my goal, I must be grounded, moving forward one step at a time, keeping myself open-minded, respecting my teammates, and learning from them ...

The thing is, I will put the company and our common goals above my own goal. I will be glad and feeling good as long as I am able to help our company to grow.

A note, the last paragraph is a must, because it will give your prospective employer an impression that you are not a selfish person or a self-centered person, and you always put the interest of your employer at the first place.

You may have another career goal, putting your thoughts into words (in both English and Chinese) may help, and rewrite a few times until you are satisfied, just keep trying and trying.